All mammas are busy little bees. When leaving the house, there’s a whole menagerie of things to plan, carry around, think and do. Now, if the one thing you always tend to forget is a nursing pad, I want to reassure you – you’re not alone.
If you’re a breastfeeding mom, you know what I’m talking about. And you know how embarrassing it is to be caught with a wet splotch or two on your shirt. How many times I rushed into the ladies’ room with a short gasp: “Nature’s call!” And it happened even though I did my best to nurse and pump regularly, and never be away from my baby for too long.
But nature wasn’t simply performing pranks on me. Actually, all it was trying to tell me was that my baby needed a bite of that abundant whitish fluid. But I can assure you, that’s not the first thing that came to my mind out there in public, even though I think I’m a caring mother.
For starters, I want to remind you to always keep a few nursing pads near the top of your list of all the things to shove into that diaper bag. They are convenient, healthy, and won’t take up as much room as a spare bra or two. And then I’ll walk you through the best options that are currently available on the market.
But first, let’s see a list of must-haves when it comes to choosing the best nursing pad.
How to Choose the Best Nursing Pads?
Before we dive in, hear a word of warning. Even if you get the most absorbent and comfy nursing pads in the world, never wear them for too long. Don’t wait the entire day to change them, or the dampness in contact with your skin could lead to all kinds of infections. Nursing pads are just there to buy you some time. They are not a mere milk-proof extension to your bra that you can set and forget.
According to the experience of yours truly, as well as many other leaking moms out there, these are things you should pay attention to when choosing nursing pads for your precious glands:
- Comfort and breathability. Everything that comes in touch with your bosom needs to be soft and gentle as a cloud. Opt for natural and breathable materials since sore nipples is the last thing you need right now.
- Disposable or reusable? This is mainly a question of economy and convenience. If you opt for disposable nursing pads, less work for you lady! And we all know how doing the laundry can be a tiresome experience when you have a little baby. On the other hand, allocating more money in reusable nursing pads is a good decision for your budget and the environment. There is no saying which option is better – it just depends on you, your needs and habits.
- Do they stay in place? Some nursing pads need constant adjustment, which can be quite annoying (and sometimes downright impossible) when you’re out. Others come with adhesive strips to attach to your clothes, but many moms tend to be oversensitive to non-natural materials, so they prefer to just tuck the pads in.
- Are they bulky? Your mammary glands are probably big enough as it is. An extra pair of pads might make them even bigger and show beneath your shirt. FYI, disposable pads tend to be a bit bulkier than their non-disposable counterpart.
- Do you need them for day or night? Maybe you’re a stay-at-home mamma who doesn’t need to rush outside very often. In that case, you’ll only be needing night pads so as not to get wet during sleep.
- Absorbability. All brands will advertise their pads as super absorbent, but there’s absorbability and then there’s absorbability (no, I won’t write the term again). The difference is that pads that are really absorbent won’t let your skin and nipples get damp even though the pad itself is soaked. And moisture is your breasts’ and your baby’s worst enemy.
Best Nursing Pads – Reviews
[amazon box=”B002TLU5JO,B078YQQTBD,B007D43X82,B00006FWVR,B005EYRJ88,B00PJ8GN3G” template=”table”]
If you don’t like having yet another thing to add to your laundry list, over 2,700 happy customers on Amazon will back you to opt for this 4-pack of Lansinoh Pads, with each package including 60 pads. They fit great and don’t show under your clothes, nor will they make your breasts look larger. Comfortable even when wet, they are made with quilted, honeycomb lining. All pads are wrapped individually, which guarantees that they will always be sterile and makes them easy to just shove into one of the pockets in your diaper bag or backpack, so you don’t have to carry the whole package. And it’s great for moms whose one breast leaks more than the other.
You and your wallet will love the fact that these eco-friendly pads are reusable. The 8-pack includes 4 overnight and 4 regular pads, so your clothes can be protected day and night. You will also get a washing bag for easy cleaning and a carry bag, so you don’t have to worry about keeping them clean while on the go. Even moms who enormous amounts of milk won’t have to worry, due to the super absorbent organic bamboo. They won’t stick to your nipple, as the material is soft and breathable. Plus, they won’t make your breasts look (even) bigger under the clothes. Another plus is that these come in a beautiful box, with a card to write a letter to your baby, which makes them a great baby shower gift.
In this package, you will get 3 pairs of classic ultra thin pads for regular leaking, and one pair of overnight pads for heavy leaking. The heart-shaped design is not only there for cuteness – it helps them fit great. This is by far the most reviewed product from our list, with over 5,300 customer reviews on Amazon alone, and 4.2 out of 5 stars. Even though they are not on the cheapest side, you’ll find them a great buy as you won’t just wear them and throw them away.
Generous leakers, this could be the right thing for you. They will protect your breasts from moisture day and night. Double adhesive tape means you won’t have to wiggle all the time while wearing them. Every pad is individually wrapped for better hygiene and convenience if you only need to change one. Medela brags that they’re America’s number one nursing pad product, and many moms agree with this qualification. Others claim they are not the perfect solution for moms with sensitive skin, since they tend to wrinkle when full.
If you are a large-busted lady, this could be the right choice for you. The large, curved surface means they will snuggle your breasts and stay there, nicely fitted, without moving. According to the product description, they are neither too thick or too thin. If you are often compelled to spend an entire day out and about, with not many chances to change the pads, get a pack of these. Like with other reusable pads, their most obvious con is that you’ll have to do laundry more often.
Bamboo is one of the most comfortable eco-friendly fabrics with antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. The adhesive strips on the back can be attached to your clothing to prevent bunching up or moving. Even though they are thin, don’t worry about absorbance. The only problem seems to be with women who have cracked nipples from latching. They report these pads can sometimes stick to the nipple.