It is a terrible feeling to see your baby get sick. Parents are always brooding over the fact what possible they have had done to prevent their little one from falling sick. Whenever your baby becomes ill, it is always a heart-rending experience to be honest. Moreover, as your baby grows up, there comes a point in time when he yearns to pick everything up from the ground and put it in his mouth. When he is little, you can make sure that anything that he picks up is as clean as possible.
Of course you cannot protect your baby from all the bacteria and viruses out there but you certainly can ensure that they are not ingesting germs and bacteria of all sorts while drinking milk. A baby bottle sterilizer makes sure that your worries are wiped away with the minimum possible fuss and your baby is fed with germ-free milk. It keeps the pacifiers, breast pumps and other plastic teethers and toys sanitized.
Why use bottle sterilizer?
Washing your baby’s bottles with hands or dishwashing them is enough to clean them. It is not mandatory to sterilize baby bottles but it is something that a huge number of mothers from across the globe like to engage themselves in. It is easy, minimizes the number of germs your little one is likely to be exposed to and we consider it a healthy practice on the whole. You cannot envelope your bundles of joy in a safety dome (that would have been ideal though), but if sterilizing bottles protects your baby for even one illness, the whole exercise is worth it.
For the initial few years, a kids’ immune system is vulnerable to being attacked by a wide variety of germs and bacteria. When you are a new parent, you become so obsessed with this whole germs and bacteria thing that you start to feel as they are everywhere. And since people always adore to touch and hold your baby in their arms, you feel helpless in not being able to reduce the number of germs to which your baby is being introduced. Simultaneously, even the notion of you being regarded as a fanatic paranoid mother who freaks out whenever people surround her baby, haunts you. So, inevitably, you have to give in to all your inner voices that are repeatedly telling you to do something substantial about those bloody germs.
If you are unable to protect your baby from the people around him who are always looking to hold and snuggle her, at least you can make an effort to use a bottle sterilizer to make sure that your baby’s bottle is free from germs and bacteria.
When to stop using a bottle sterilizer?
It is futile to continue using a bottle sterilize for sterilizing baby bottles once your baby achieves mobility and starts having a go at anything that comes his way.
Keep in mind that when your baby is able to decipher the fact that he can grab things and put them in his mouth, he is inevitably going to be exposed to a greater number of germs and bacteria that those that are likely to be administered through the baby bottle.
However, once you are done with using a bottle sterilizer, you should ensure that you clean the bottles and nipples the best you can. And if your baby becomes ill, you should start using a bay sterilizer again until he becomes well again. It is always a safe option to not expose your baby’s rehabilitating immune system to germs.
How to sterilize a bottle?
There are tons of ways to sterilize a bottle and nipple:
The traditional way of sterilizing bottles is to boil them over water on the stove in a pan. This is one of the most affordable way of going about the whole sterilizing business but I am not lured to it. Since I have been using plastic bottles, so I was always intimidated by the fact that hazardous chemical substances were likely to leach out as a result of the boiling water. With the ever-advancing technology, things and ways of doing them have changed massively.
Microwave bottle sterilizers or electric steam sterilizers are the innovative ways of going around the sterilizing business.
UV bottle sterilizers are the latest products used to sterilize baby bottles. Ultraviolet radiation is employed by these devices to kill germs. These devices are placed on the higher end of the price spectrum and are worth way more than an electric or microwave sterilizer. The affordability factor keeps them out of the reach of a number of parents who do not want to miss out on a car payment just because of them.
Characteristics of a baby bottle sterilizer
- Usability: Electric baby bottle sterilizers are very easy to operate. If you find yourself perplexed over the user instructions or with all the buttons out there, do not get flustered. There is a wide array of options out there that will be in accordance with your preference and requirements.
- Size: The bottle sterilizer unit that you purchase should be able to cater to your needs. If you are one of those mothers who breastfeeds her kids and only uses bottles if she is away from him, then a small unit will suffice that can handle a couple of bottles.
- Capacity of bottle sterilizer unit: If you feed your baby on the formula milk, then you will have to sterilize your baby’s bottles throughout the day if you purchase a smaller unit. So, a larger sterilizer unit will come in handy since it will be able to sterilize more bottles simultaneously to cut down on your daily chores.
- Price aspect: If you are marred by budgetary constraints, then the price aspect is of fundamental importance here. Microwave sterilizers are generally affordable in contrast to the other types in the market.
- Drying ability: Microwave bottle sterilizers are quick to perform their functions but the bottles are left wet and you will need to dry them up once they are taken out of the microwave. This is another chore added to your daily routine.
- Space in your kitchen: Some mothers would not want microwave bottle sterilizers to occupy any space on their kitchen counters. They can be put away in a cabinet and then pulled back out and do not require an outlet for functioning. An electric sterilizer will require you to make some space on your kitchen counter.
Best Baby Bottle Sterilizers
Now, with some basic knowledge inculcated about baby bottle sterilizers, let us move ahead and look at the best baby bottle sterilizers available on the market:
1 – Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer
A good baby bottle sterilizer must be able to fulfill all your requirements and you should get the feeling that your money is well-spend having bought it. It has to be efficient and safe. Here is our pick for the best baby bottle sterilizer on a budget.
The Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer is BPA free, low cost and nifty. It is capable of eliminating almost 99.9 percent bacteria within a couple of minutes. It can accommodate bottles, breast pumps, and other feeding paraphernalia. It can be placed in most of the microwave ovens and if you keep the lid closed until you need the bottles out of the baby, they will remain sterilized for the next 24 hours.
It is easily portable and does not occupy too much space in your house. Moreover, it is very user-friendly.
- Affordable in contrast to its competitors
- Can sterilize up to four 9-ounce bottles simultaneously
- Bottles will be wet when removed from the baby sterilizer
- Risk of burning yourself if not opened carefully
2 – Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer
It is always easy and quick to get your baby’s bottles sterilized in a microwave. You simply have to add water into the sterilizer, place it in the microwave and it will be completed within a matter of minutes. These sterilizers are affordable and if you are looking for one such contraption with value-added features, here is out pick.
Touted as one of the most affordable microwave bottle sterilizers, the Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer comes with an open-away latch to help prevent burns from the steam. The handles are heat-resistant so you will not have to worry while taking the sterilizer out of the microwave.
The Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer is a multi-purpose device that can also be used on pacifiers, teething rings and small sized toys. It can be accommodated by all typical-sized microwave ovens and comes bundled with tongs to ensure safe removal of hot bottles.
- Can accommodate four bottles and a couple of breast pump shields simultaneously
- Works for both wide-mouth and standard sized bottles
- Bottles fall down in the sterilizer
- If the unit is not enclosed properly, water tends to leak out into the microwave
3 – Wabi Baby Electric Steam Sterilizer and Dryer
If you are always frustrated by drying up the sterilized bottles, then you may as well look for a unit that also does the drying up job for you. Such units are slightly expensive in contrast to the microwave baby bottle sterilizer units but they help save you some time. Here is our pick for the best sterilizer and dryer combo.
The Wabi Baby Electric Steam Sterilizer and Dryer is placed at the higher end of the price spectrum and takes almost 8 to 15 minutes to get its contents sterilized. The smart sensor integrated in the device ensures that the unit is automatically turned off once the sterilizing is accomplished. The device also incorporates a countdown timer so that you remain acquainted with the time remaining.
The Wabi Baby Electric Steam Sterilizer and Dryer is intuitive since you simply have to add water, put bottles in the unit and press the button. The unit is able to sterilize and dry up to 8 bottles simultaneously which can cut down on your work significantly.
- The bottles are automatically dried up once the drying cycle is finished
- The long drying cycle reduces the probability of getting burns
- Costs almost six times more in contrast to microwave sterilizers
- You should have backup bottles in your reserves since these take a long time to sterilize and dry up
4 – Tommee Tippee Electric Steam Sterilizer
All of us are not enchanted by the charms of microwave ovens. Mothers who are attracted by electric steam sterilizers should keep an eye at their costs which are generally pretty high. You also need to determine the capacity of the sterilizer that you will be requiring since it will dictate the price of the model and unit.
The Tommee Tippee Electric Steam Sterilizer is an ideal contraption for moms who have to sanitize multiple bottles simultaneously. It has a massive capacity and within five minutes, an entire day’s worth of bottles will be sterilized with exceptional ease; thereby eliminating about 99.9 percent germs. The unit boasts a space-saving design that is particularly good for mothers who are worried about the fact their kitchen counters are quite congested already and cannot hold another unit. The Tommee Tippee Electric Steam Sterilizer lets you flip its lid over to act as a germ-free space for preparing bottles.
- Easy to clean and store
- Cools down rapidly so you can get the bottles out as soon as the sterilizing is done
- BPA free
- When heated, emits a strong plastic aroma
- Needs to be descaled regularly
5 – The First Years Power of Steam Electric Steam Sterilizer
Steam sterilizers have been able to gain massive traction among consumers owing to their ease of use, safe operation, efficiency and their ability to accomplish what they actually claim. The enormous sanitizing potential of steam is harnessed to ensure that your baby’s bottles are germ-free. Here is the best option for you if you are looking for a steam sterilizer.
The First Years Power of Steam Electric Steam Sterilizer is a versatile piece of equipment that can be used for bottles, pacifiers and small sized toys. It lets steam creep into the bottle and ensures thorough cleansing.
The unit comes with an integrated dry rack which lets you take out the trays and place them on the kitchen counter for the bottles to air-dry. The The First Years Power of Steam Electric Steam Sterilizer is BPA and PVC free which is generally a point for concern for numerous parents out there who do not want to introduce their babies to hazardous chemical substances.
- Compatible with bottles of a wide array of brands
- Accommodates up to 6 bottles
- Substantial amount of water is left behind on the kitchen counter once opened
- Over a period of time, residue tends to build up on the base of the unit which is hard to remove
6 – Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer
This microwave bottle sterilizer can accommodate four bottles in addition to other feeding accessories. It is also bundled together with a pair of tongs to help you get the sterilized gear out of the unit. It takes some getting-used-to to properly arrange the items in the sterilizer. The bottles are placed at an angle and clipped into the base.
7 – Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags
Parents are in love with the Medela steam bags as each of the bags can be used for up to 20 times. You simply have to add the feeding items and bottles to the bag and place it in the microwave oven. These bags occupy no extra space in the kitchen and are excellent for travels and sanitizing breast pump parts with exceptional ease. Remember that Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags do not accommodate as many items as a traditional steam sterilizer. So, in order to disinfect about six bottles, two bags are required.
Bottle sterilizers are not an imperative but if you get satisfaction by using them, then they are all worth it. There are loads of options available on the market and no matter what option you choose, it does a commendable job efficiently.